Well, if you want to gain back the control of your time and increase your company’s effectiveness, you should consider establishing these rules:
- Every meeting must have a single decision maker present, and
- There must be a decision to be made
- No more than 10 people should attend.
- Every single person should give input, otherwise they shouldn't be there.
1. Never establish any automatically recurring meeting for updates or status reviews. Insist that those are all communicated by email or hallway conversations.
2. Block off 3-5 weekly meetings on your own calendar, with absolutely no invitees or agenda, in order to give you the breathing room to get real work done.
3. Do not ever give anyone else permissions to accept meetings on your behalf.
Always remember, if you don’t control your calendar, someone else will.